Thursday, April 26, 2012

Crossings and Decisions

A friend asked me to interpret her dream for her on Plurk. When she told it to me, it was long and had too much symbols that it was almost impossible for me to respond through Plurk.  With her permission, I have posted it here instead, along with the interpretation. 

Of course, I do not claim accuracy in my interpretation. I'm neither schooled or trained in psychology, or dream interpretation. I just have a fondness of interpreting my own vivid dreams and nightmares that made me a little bit more knowledgeable than the average kid. Eventually, friends learned that I can do this sort of thing and have sought advice from me about dreams that have bothered or sparked an interest in them. Friend A from Arashi fandom sent me this message:

A 
I was going home from...somewhere, I don't know where. I was in the overpass near our house when I saw Jun first.
A 
I asked him "Hey, you're going home already?" and he just gave me a smile. Then he went down one flight of stairs. (In reality that set of
A  
stairs doesn't exist in the overpass.)
A 
And when I was about to go down the flight of stairs that does exist in our overpass, it was...different.
A 
there were two flights of stairs that seemed parallel to each other. One was narrower, only one person can pass through it at a time.
A 
I took that set of stairs, but halfway through there was a fork. One led to a slide and the other was more like a ladder instead of stairs.
A 
I'm not sure if I saw a child or children go up through that ladder, but either way I chose to go back up where I came from and go back down
A  
through the other, wider set of stairs.
A 
I decided to change my route walking home a bit. One block before my house, I saw Matsujun curled up on the street, as if he was sleeping.
A  
when I got closer, I (actually dared) to feel his arm and I felt he was shivering.
A 
I think I tried calling up my dad, but more importantly I hugged Matsujun, hoping he'd wake up and feel better.
A 
after a while, his shivering seemed to subside and he finally opened his eyes.
A  
I helped him up and helped him walk to our house. I had to support his weight a bit because he still couldn't walk properly.
A  
when we got home, i let him sit on our couch. Mom asked him in English "Do you want to eat anything?" and I was all "Mama, he can't speak
A  
English." Jun just smiled.
A  
/end dream
A  
some points to consider din: i was reading a Junba fic before I slept, but none of the scenarios i described was in that fic. :-P
HighPriestessDeksays
give me the first 5 words you think of when you hear matsujun, no cheating, go!
A 
diva, gwapo, hard-worker, masungit, short-haired

THE KEY-SYMBOLS AND MEANIGN: 

Overpass is a structure meant for crossing roads without the danger of getting run over by moving vehicles.  While it is technically NOT crossing a road, the point of an overpass is to get a person to the other side. What does the other side usually hold for us? It depends on each person, and it greatly depends on what one does on "the other side."

At the end of an overpass, one would need to go down to get back to the road. Going down stairs, can mean a visit to the subconscious or one is experiencing setbacks in life.

A was given an option of two stairs, a narrow and a wide one. She took the narrow one first. I know A is slightly religious, and being religious a narrow path can mean hardships with great rewards. A wider path has been socially accepted as an easier path, that, or a more liberating path.

A chose the narrow path at first, subconsciously, this straight and narrow concept is imprinted in Filipino children's minds from birth to forever. In that narrow path, she came across a fork -- which in every form of rhetoric, is a decision one has to make. One leads to a slide and the other to a ladder (children are irrelevant, since she can't remember). A slide means a sense of lost of control. While, a ladder means a way to a higher status or promotion (again with the concept of straight and narrow = rewards). We can see that to A, losing control is the other option to promotions; it's one or the other. (personally, i've always thought losing control comes WITH promotions, that's why one needs great confidence in leading).

A turned back, she wasn't ready for this. She took the wider path, lesser responsibility, more freedom in life. 

And then it was followed by the whole story about Matsumoto Jun.

MY INTERPRETATION: 

Obviously, A's fear of losing control is greater than her desire to achieve greatness. Obviously, she's not scared of the responsibility, as she went through it twice, progressing and regressing. Taking the wider path is a temporary fix.

As for the scene with MatsuJun, it is merely her repressed emotion rampantly showing itself in her subconscious. Hugging, does mean, repressed emotion in itself.

Someone, give this girl a boyfriend!

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments: